What Music Therapy Is Not
On April 13, 2018, Judith Pinkerton became the first recipient of the Aflac ACM Lifting Lives Honor, and demonstrated how music therapy makes a difference in the lives of children with cancer as she combined a new set of circumstances: James, Marlee, Giggles (the Aflac duck), Country music star Chris Young and dozens of onlookers and cameras. This is not representative of a typical music therapy session although it was great fun working with the many teams in place …. read the back story in my blog.
What Music Therapy Is
Music Therapy is found in individual and group sessions providing the clinical use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals. The sessions support a therapeutic relationship between individuals and a licensed, credentialed professional who has completed a music therapy program, and in Nevada must be approved by the Nevada State Board of Health. Assessment, treatment and evaluation are cornerstones of effective music therapy programs.
Apply for the required state license to practice music therapy in Nevada.
Music therapy at Music 4 Life® targets addiction recovery, mental health, and wellness goals. Some individuals may qualify for customized home programs.
Music 4 Life® Music Medicine
“People take music for granted, but it’s instrumental in getting us through the day. It’s not something you can capture in a bottle and use as medicine, but in a way you can.” ~ Natalie Cole
The first step at Music 4 Life is to understand self and how you relate to music. There’s a lot more to “tuning in” than simply flipping on the radio. Our specialized music therapy approach supports you trusting your musical instincts with specific Music 4 Life techniques. You’ll be able to identify and experience a full range of emotions within a Music Medicine Pill™ – and feel better transforming problem moods into greater peace, joy, energy and productivity.
- Complete Judith’s online self-assessment to discover your emotional shape with related Music Medicine recommendations.
- Enroll in Judith’s eCourses at Music Medicine Academy to learn the language, research underpinnings and formulas of Music Medicine.
- Consult with Judith’s team of Music 4 Life® Practitioners to unveil danger zones in music listening habits that may trap you in unsettled moods. Schedule your session now.
Judith provides music therapy curriculum three ways.
- The Music Medicine eCourse is incorporated into university music therapy curriculum. Music Therapy Program Directors may consider this type of inclusion as demonstrated at University of the Pacific. Read Dr. Eric Waldon’s Reflection Paper.
- Music Therapy Internships are available when a music therapy student qualifies for program rigors. If you are interested in learning more about this six-month full-time internship, contact Judith to receive the Internship Application. The Music 4 Life Internship supports research-based methods providing music therapy, plus learning how to:
- Demonstrate resilience
- Practice compassion
- Master technology
- Learn advocacy skills
- Easily adapt
- Practice self-care
3. Professional music therapists may qualify for advanced accredited training to become a certified Music 4 Life Practitioner.